(Finally posting this draft from Talon's surgery day in October)
I'm pretty sure that I just gained about 10 new gray hairs in the last 4 days!
Thursday
morning while Talon was sleeping, Hunter got up for school. He was
really booby and ornery. After I got his breakfast, I walked around the
counter to give him a hug and as soon as got within arms reach he just
reached out, hugged me tight and cried really hard. I asked Hunter why
he was crying and at first he just shrugged. Then I asked him if it was
about Talon and he just nodded his head and in his cute little voice
(with the speech impediment) he said, "I'm woe-weed about him!". Talon
was asleep still when hunter got up and just before it was time to leave
for school, Talon woke up. When Hunter saw that he was awake, he
crawled up onto the bed, buried his head into Talon's shoulder and
sobbed! It broke my heart and I cried right along with him. Cute Talon
just reached up with his good arm and rubbed his head and said, "I'm
okay, I'll be okay bud." So sweet. As much as they fight, it's nice to
know that they do love each other still! :)
Thursday
morning we waited for the phone call from the hospital to let us know
when to bring them in. We waited..and waited... finally we called the
hospital and apparently they were trying to call us, but had the wrong
number. That was my bad! I guess while we were in the ER the night
before, my brain was befuddled and I could not remember my own phone
number! HA! (That night, after we got Talon home and settled in my
bed, Chet went into to the Living room, I went into my bathroom and we
both cried out eyes out. Feeling so bad for what happened to him,
feeling scared for him, and running through images in our heads of how
it happened and everything afterwards. Thankfully I was not there to
see it actually happen... I saw enough after I arrived to haunt my brain
for years!)
We took him into Riverton Hospital and
waited even longer. We got a room and began the pre-op process of
paperwork and getting him ready. The poor kid was so nervous and
scared, not to mention the fact that I was so scared for him also. The
kid was in better spirits in the morning and finally had some color
back into his face. He is such a good and funny kid and I am amazed at
how humble and polite he is...always! Everything is, "Yes, please. No
Thank you and Thank you."
The surgeon, Dr. Brady, came
in and talked with us for a little bit. Explained what he would be
doing and asked Talon what type of music he wanted to listen to during
the surgery. After talking about classic rock and different bands,
Talon responded with, "Rush, please." Dr. Brady, just said "please?"
like he was surprised with the politeness. haha.
They then started to wheel him off to surgery and the poor boy, began to tear up...he was so scared. I'm not gonna lie..that was hard to watch!
They ended up putting a titanium rod through each bone. He will be in a soft cast for about 10 days and then they will put him into a hard cast for about 4 weeks. The rods will stay in for 3-4 months and then they will be removed. He is now being called, "Titanium Talon, Terminator Talon, Wolverine...etc"
The surgery itself took just over an hour and then he was in recovery what seemed like an eternity. They wouldn't let us see him until he was completely awake. This was hard for me. Once I knew he was starting to wake up, I just wanted to be with my boy!
They wheeled him back in and the color in his little face was gone once again. He did not feel very good after surgery and we got him home as soon as we were able. He slept for quite some time, and when he woke up later that evening, he was in better spirits.
It was a crazy day and we are so grateful for the friends and family who brought dinner, treats and gifts. Talon is a very loved young man and has felt so special by all of the people who have come to visit him over the past couple of days. It has been very hard for Chet and I to watch him go through this. I have prayed to Heavenly Father, so many times...especially that first night, pleading with him to make Talon okay...to be able to get through the surgery well, and to heal well. My emotions are so up and down and I am just so heartbroken for the little guy, especially about football. He loves the game so much and gives it his whole heart. Now, I would never wish this on any kid but there are some who clearly don't want to be there playing and have even expressed such...yet, you have these boys that do and then they are the ones who get hurt and can't play. It just doesn't seem fair....but then, if there's anything I have learned, it's that life ISN'T fair!
I walked out into the kitchen Friday morning to get Talon's medication and saw his football helmet on the counter. I just burst into tears and could not stop the sobbing! My heart hurts for my little man. He is such a great kid! I have just been so amazed at how brave he has been and how well he is handling all of this! Talon is a very mature 12 year old boy. He has been such an example to me through all of this and my respect for him has grown immensely. I don't know what I did to be blessed to be his mom, but I'm grateful that I am!
I know how frustrating this situation must be for him and how it all finally just gets to a person. He tried so hard to go to the bathroom on his own, insisting that he didn't need help. I heard him call my name and unfortunately he just couldn't get his shorts down fast enough. He had an accident and just began to REALLY cry for the first time in two days! After we got him cleaned up, he turned to me and said, "I'm sorry.", WHAT?! I told him not to ever apologize for that, and I know he was embarrassed and frustrated and everything else. Poor kid.
Talon, is such a sweet kid. Always so thoughtful of others. He mentioned a couple of times, how much money this would cost us. He was laying in my bed and said, "this kinda sucks..." and I said, "ya I know..." he said, "no, it's just that, it's going to be your birthday and now you have to spend a lot of money on this, when that money could be going towards your birthday!"
I was in awe, I just looked at him shocked that he would even be thinking about that! I finally told him that he should not even be worrying about that! That stuff didn't matter to me, that all I wanted for my birthday was for him to be well...and it's true!




0 comments:
Post a Comment