
How do you brush a fighting toddler's teeth? You sit on him! I know it sounds cruel but if you only knew my Cash you would understand. Sometimes I laugh wondering what people would think if they could only see us trying to brush his teeth. At times it takes two of us to do it. One sitting on him holding his hands down under their knees and the other holding his head still. It's quite the ordeal!
Needless to say, I wasn't surprised when I could see a big cavity in his front tooth. I knew a regular family dentist was out of the question because there was no way Cash would hold still and just open his mouth for him to exam. I found a great pediatric dentist who was great with him and they were able to see the cavity and get a quick cleaning in.
Now, the icky part. To fill the cavity they had to put him under IV sedation. Let me just say...this experience left me NEVER wanting to do it again!!! Not only was it expensive but it was quite traumatic to watch. For you mothers out there who have experienced this you know what I'm talking about. The anesthesiologist has you hold the child in your lap to give them a shot that starts the sedation procedure. It is almost like a hallucinogen. It calms them down and relaxes them enough to put the IV sedation in.
Chet held Cash during this procedure. He cried because the shot hurt and then his eyes got really big, he started whipping his head back and forth trying to look around and started screaming "mom! mommy! mom!". I just talked to him and rubbed his head, then he went limp as he just started to stare off, wide eyed right into space. He honestly looked dead! His breathing started making some funny noises and then they took him from Chet and brought him to the back to begin the procedure. That's when I lost it! I sobbed and sobbed... it was the worst experience ever!
When the procedure was done they brought us back so we could be there when he woke up. Everything went fine. They made sure he could keep a Popsicle down before they let him leave. When we got him home he laid down on my bed and a few minutes later he tried to sit up. He immediately laid back down and said, "Oh, I can't get up. My head is slipping!" It was too dang cute. He got a little sick to his stomach but the poor little guy was so hungry. He wanted to eat, but couldn't have solids quite yet and then he would throw it up after. What an ordeal.
Thankfully, he is much more cooperative when it comes to brushing his teeth. I am going to try and hold him off from having to see a dentist again until he is old enough and less squirmy so he can see a regular dentist. Not an experience I want to repeat!
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Open Wide
Posted by Kim and Chet at 4:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Um, we pretty much have the exact same problem...Weston had to get a cavity filled when he was 2 also! It was awful. And we totally STILL have to sit on him sometimes to brush his teeth - he HATES it! It's the biggest pain. So sorry!
Post a Comment