There really are no words to describe the emotions and feelings I felt today. Chet and I had planned on going to the viewing of Pres. Hinckley but Chet really didn't think he would be able to get off work either day to go. I was feeling really bummed out this morning because I really wanted to go. I just felt like it was such a great opportunity that was given to us to be able to pay our respects and say goodbye to a wonderful leader. There are millions of members around the world who would probably give anything to be able to attend this viewing/funeral and here we are fortunate to live just minutes away. I would've felt terrible if I did not take this opportunity to go. At the last minute I decided to find a baby sitter for the boys and take the girls on the trax train and go. I prayed in my heart that everything would go smoothly, with a sitter, parking etc. My friend, Sonda, was more than happy to take the boys and after we rushed getting ready, dropped them off and headed to the trax station I was just hoping to get a parking space. With as many people expected to attend the viewing as well as the regulars who take Trax up to work I was worried I wouldn't find a parking space. As I prayed in my heart that I would....even if it was far away and we had to walk in the bitter cold...I didn't care. As we made our first loop around the parking lot I noticed someone pulling out of a space that was right up in front of the trax. I was able to get it and was so happy! I was a bit worried about the price of the tickets. All I had on me was $10 and I didn't know how much the tickets were. (I don't take trax that often and I didn't have time to stop and get more cash) Well, as I looked at the prices my heart started to pound. They were a lot more than I thought they would be. However for the tickets we needed I was .50 cents short! I started rummaging through my purse in the bitter cold (did I mention that it was BITTER cold?) for whatever spare change I could find and all I found was a quarter. I was checking pockets for any change. I was not sure what I should do b/c I didn't want to lose my good spot to go get change for .25! I was praying in my heart and then the thought occurred to me to go check the van. I thought I had seen a couple of coins in the cup holder. I ran as fast as I could to the van and sure enough there was one quarter in there! Wow...talk about feeling like someone was helping me out...haha! We got to the conference center and everything flowed so smoothly. The line was not bad at all and we never stopped walking through until we got up to the Hall of Prophets and had to wait for one minute to be able to get up to view Pres. Hinckley. The feeling in that room was incredible. I was overcome with such warmth and peace. Especially as you look around and see him surrounded by busts of all the prophets including himself. He looked so wonderful! Very peaceful and almost glowing. I was so overwhelmed and just began to cry. I know...surprise, huh! We had to continue walking by the casket but very slowly. Though it went by very quickly it was a very humbling experience. As you walked out of the room and into the conference auditorium the walk was lined with flowers from his well wishers and family. We read some memories and thoughts from his grandkids that hung from a beautiful spray of flowers and then in the middle of another spray from his great-grandkids hung a message saying "Dear Grandpa, We will always..... Be Clean, Be humble, Be Smart etc." Wow...I thought I was crying before. As I tried to gather myself as we walked out and towards the escalators I noticed a camera crew by the window. One of the men smiled at me and I smiled back. Then the next thing I knew he was tapping me on the shoulder asking me if he could speak with me for a moment. Ummm...Sure? So the girls and I walked over and I was so panicked b/c I knew I must've looked like a mess...just finished crying and all...and my emotions were still everywhere. Now add a big camera in front of your face and a large microphone hanging over your head to that! haha. I was feeling quite scatterbrained. I hardly remember what he asked me or my answers to them! He must've thought..."That crazy lady made absolutely no sense!" Anyway, I can't remember who he said he was with. I thought he said World News but then he mentioned that they would air it in between conferences or in the conference report (something like that) and the release waiver I signed had the name of the church on it so I really don't think it was The World News. Anyway, I'm not expecting them to show it b/c I don't think I really made much sense to the questions he was asking...haha! It was such a wonderful experience to be there and I'm so grateful for that opportunity and it is something I will never forget. It all went quickly so the girls and I spent some time walking around the visitors centers at Temple Square and The Joseph Smith Memorial building. I really hope the girls remember this experience and remember the type of person President Hinckley was! I know I will always love and remember him and try to "Stand a Little Taller" because of him.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Warmth in the bitter, winter cold...
Posted by Kim and Chet at 9:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I am glad you wrote about that- now you got me emotional. Anyway, today I turned on my CD player and just pushed play for the first CD that came up and was pleasantly suprised to hear the Primary CD I put in on Sunday last minute, but never listened to that day because it was the 4th- the others were Mormon Tab. ones that had been playing before we heard the news. Anyway the CD was from the year we did We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet as the Primary theme... very appropriate that night had we heard it, and this week.
What a neat experience. How could someone NOT be bawling!!? I bet the girls will for sure remember that. I went to Sister Hinckleys viewing with James and it was AWESOME. I can only imagine going to see the Prophet's!
Post a Comment