Okay, Chet and I have been having a "discussion" on what is an appropriate age for a girl to wear makeup. I have always had my rule that my girls can start wearing it at 13, and only very light makeup at that, but he disagree's and feels it is too young. So, I am just wanting to get an opinion from all of you MOM'S (and dad's if you want) out there on what YOU feel is an appropriate age. There is a poll to the right so please vote! Be honest too...we are trying to figure out what MOST mom's feel is reasonable. Also, please feel free to comment and post it here so I know Chet isn't being sneaky and voting over and over...haha! To vote you should just be able to click on the age (and mark the circle next to it) and then submit it by clicking on vote at the bottom. If it doesn't work then please leave your comments :)
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Too Young?
Posted by Kim and Chet at 9:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




19 comments:
I can't get the poll to work, but I've always said Jr. High. Now this means some girls are 12 and some are 13, but there's no reason to wear makeup in elementary school no matter how old. If you can tell immediately a girl has makeup on, it's too much. Kylee's a week away from ending 6th grade, so let her do it. But with the summer heat, she may not even want to. (Sorry Chet)
I'm with Sonda - Jr. High. You don't want to start them too young, but she's at the age now where (and I hate this phrase), all the other girls are probably starting to wear it. I think if you teach her how to wear it subtly she'll still feel like she's up-to-date with the other girls she knows but will still look age appropriate. Hope that helps!
What's the purpose for wearing it? If you don't need it which she doesn't why wear it? Now if you have some mondo acne or something I can maybe see it. But really who at 13 is she trying to impress? And I've heard the whole "It's a mark of age" crap already. I'm a guy who was 13 and 14 once, and know what they look for. You're a walking hormone at that point. She'll be in burlap bags and a burka if I have my say.
Even though I am not quite a mom of children that age yet My mom let me begin wearing make-up at 12. Of course she had to teach me how to wear it so my poor face didnt look like I came from the circus But I enjoyed it. She also helped me learn to shave my legs at that time too. I guess its a matter of wether you think they are mature enough. Good Luck!
My mom told me the first day of 6th grade I could wear it, but I didn't actually start wearing it till middle of 7th. I only do mascara, eyeshadow, and sometimes eyeliner, but not often!Hope this helps!
*lauren*
Jr. High is what I let my girls do too. Just mascara and maybe some colored lip gloss at first, then as they got older, they could add the other stuff. Tell Chet that not many 13 year old girls need make-up, but it is just what we do. haha. Heck, I have an 18 year old that doesn't NEED it, but they have to grow up sometime. Dang it!!
Uncle Chet, you make me laugh!
I think that Junior High is good as well. (Kenzie's only 1 though!)
That is such a hard age. Sometimes a 13 year old girl needs a little extra booth to feel good, now and then! I think that if it's natural looking, and makes her feel good about herself, go for it.
Not to be rude, but I think the real issue here is not wanting your "baby girl" to grow up too fast, which I understand! That is a dad's right and important place (especially these days we see the importance of dads). However, makeup is a non-issue as long as it is age appropriate. There are bigger things to put your foot down on or fret over. I think that this is more mom territory.
I have one son and guess you gets to take care of most of the guy stuff-his dad, because I have never been a guy- having brothers helps but doesn't mean I know what it is like.
You get to enforce the things moms get soft about,not to mention you get to scare her dates in 3 years (again, scary thought it is only 3 years away!!!)so enjoy the break when you have it (not entirely of course) because I hear it is a crazy time. We are just getting there ourselves.
Make sure she has good friends and a safe home and she will be fine. She is a smart girl. Besides cute is cute and there isn't a resonable way to hide it.
P.S. poll didn't work for me either, I will try later.
Oh in answer to whom she is trying to impress, probably noone, but her peers are important in her life, and this again, is a non-issue comparativly; now school dances are another issue entirely!
Poor Chet. Everyone agrees that Kylee's old enough. When I asked Dave, he said 5th or 6th grade. We'll see how he changes his tune as the girls get older. There is NO WAY my girls are wearing makeup in elementary school. Let her choose 2 that she wants (I think mascara and lip gloss are perfect) and then go from there. It's not about who she's trying to impress, it's about fitting in. Jr High is hard enough with everyone maturing at different times and all the crap that puberty brings on. Give her a reason to feel better about herself and fit in. Remember, pick your battles. This one isn't worth fighting, curfews are.
IT's hard to let them grow up and she definitely doesn't need it (the Make-up in any form) but for most it is very important to fit in (unfortunately). I'm with the most minimal amount possible (lip gloss only) at first just so she doesnt't feel so far out of the loop from her friends. Maybe just maybe you can buy enough time with that that she will realize she doesn't need to use all that other crap until she is much older and better equipped emotionally and mentally to thwart off all the come-ons from the "walking hormones" as you so accurately put it. We still have one of those in his 70's snooping around next door. Do you think it is too late to tell Connie to go back to just wearing lip-gloss? You can't keep her young forever, but you can keep her from jumping from Junior High to College in one single
bound. I hope you can figure a sensible compromise for all to be happy with. Including Dad. We love our little girls. Allan
ps the vote didn't work for me.
The funny thing on all these comments is they are all by WOMEN! Take it from what a guy who was 14 once and knows what guys are looking at. That's why I say the Dad's opinion on this holds just a tad more weight than you all think. Sure you girls know what it's like to be 13 as a girl. But I know what it's like being 14 as a boy and what they are looking at! haha
Well, sorry Chet. The "mom and Dad" post is from Allan and I agree with what he says. I didn't do this to gang up on you either, I really did want to get everybody's opinions and it looks like we are all on the same page. I don't think it has as much to do with "walking hormones" as much as it does that your little girl is growing up...which is hard for me to watch, too! I am not going to let her walk out of here looking like a hooch but I also understand what is like to be a girl going through that transitional age. You are a cute and great dad and I wouldn't expect you to react any differently...but sorry, I DO think mom's have the say over dad's on this topic!
p.s. as for being 14 and knowing what boys are looking at, I hardly think that a little bit of mascara and/or lip gloss that you hardly notice is going to get them going any more than just the thought of a FEMALE being in the same room as them! Kylee is a pretty girl and with or without makeup I'm afraid the boys are going to come calling!
Well keep THINKING that. haha And since you say Allan is in agreement, then good. We'll just go with the lip gloss. Glad that's settled.
Oh and Allan, the comment concerning "The one who sneaks around" was hilarious! haha
I can tell you what 14 year old boys are looking at when they look at girls their age and it's certainly not lip gloss. ;)
Here's a thought - It could be a good thing, maybe the makeup will distract them from noticing other things about the girls in school? *haha*
Glad I don't have to have this fight with Beau for another 10 years or so!
I'd have to agree with most of the comments about the age on here. I think Jr high would be a logical age. Although I'd sneak make up to school and put more on in the bathroom there. Sneaky but I didnt really have a mom that wore make up, so I of course wanted to cake it on! I think if you teach your daughter about the basics.. and what looks normal, and casual. and what doesnt. She should be fine. Plus you raise such good kids. I'm sure she would be able to tell the difference between what her parents would agree with and what they wouldnt. :) Good luck!
Well Kim, I think you may have the record for the most comments to a blog!!! Great question!
Post a Comment