Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sleep?

Reaching out to all moms!!!

Ugh, I am SOOO tired. I really have forgotten how busy, tiring and overwhelming it can be to have a new baby. I am really having a hard time adjusting with this one. And it's not that Cash hasn't been a good baby. He has done okay sleeping at nights...that is, up until the last couple of nights. Last night was rough. He would not go back to sleep unless he was being held. I would feed him and he would seem out cold until I put him down in his cradle. Then he would fuss and cry. We would give him his binky and that would last a couple of minutes before he would spit it out and start all over again. Just when I thought I would get to go back to sleep! *sigh* rhis went on for a half hour or more after feeding him. And he takes so long to eat as it is!

I don't know what to do. Chet has to work so I worry about the baby keeping him up and then I have other kids to take care of so frankly, it's been hard and overwhelming. I don't want Cash to get used to being held every time he sleeps...how do I get him to start doing it on his own again? I just know that I don't think I can handle it if he doesn't. I have spent a good portion of my day yesterday feeling so tired and overwhelmed. Crying all day. He is my last baby and I really want to enjoy every moment of him but at times...like yesterday...I find myself feeling so disconnected to it all. Wondering if I did the right thing having another baby and I don't want to feel that way. I know it is wrong and I don't want anything to happen to him. I am so happy he's here. I just need him, in the worst way, to be a good baby. I know I can't control that and as he gets older and sleeps less more of his personality will come out and that really does scare me. All of the "what if's" go through my head like, "what if he's colicky", "what if he has behavior problems"...

I know I need to take it each day at a time and I keep telling myself "I know it will get better" but it is so hard at times. Help! Is there anything I can do to help him sleep better without holding him? I need help in getting over these feelings and "baby blues". Some days I have great days and feel great and happy but the last couple of nights have changed that. Chet gave me an awesome blessing last night and I also ask all of you to PLEASE pray for me. I need them! I am open to all suggestions and advice!

10 comments:

Josh and Shalae said...

Oh I'm so sorry that nights have been so rough. It is so hard to get a baby on a schedule. I remember one night that Jaxon just would not stop crying. I was so tired and upset I just had to let him cry because I couldn't sit and hold him anymore. He finally went to sleep and slept throughout the night. I know this won't help but it does get better. Cash is so precious. I say try and nap when he does. Let the house go to pot if you have to. Your health is more important than the house being clean. Good luck:) Our prayers are with you.

Lindsay said...

Oh Kim! Hang in there! One thing I have to pass on...I just found out that I have a MAJOR Vitamin D deficiency, and that vitamin D plays a role in anxiety, depression, and chronic fatigue. So I've done tons of research and I found out that nursing women rarely get enough vitamin D, which also transfers to the baby. And there's been a lot of studies done recently about the recommended intake of vitamin D and how it is increasing, so FOR SURE get on a Vitamin D supplement - for your mental and physical well-being. I totally had post-partum depression too, and mine just got worse and worse. My mom is a total natural-healing guru and apparently B-Complex, Ginseng and St. John's Wort help with the baby blues too - so I know it sounds dumb, but maybe those will help - I've started taking them and they have really been helping so far. It's crazy though how much Vitamin D has to do with everything though, especially through the winter when we don't get very much sun! I know how hard those first few months are though - so hang in there! Everything will work out great! Don't you worry or stress - and if you ever need any help at all, don't hesitate to call!

Jeanne said...

Wow, I might have to start getting more vitamin D and see if that helps with Libby too. I just recommend car seats. It is helpful for colicky babies and not harmful. I wish I would not have been afraid to break the rules with Tennyson so much early on with Tennyson or I would have slept a lot better. In the end the car seat was great for longer periods of sleep at night for us. Being over tired can be scary for babies health too. I remember one night waking from dozing on the couch while I was trying to get Emrie to sleep and her head was hanging off of my lap and I was holding her. I don't know how I didn't drop her on her head. Kind of scary. Hang in there! You have so many great mom resources around you that I am sure something is bound to help, or a little of many. I am looking into the vitamin thing. I knew about B already.

Jeanne said...

Good luck! I don't know what else to say because I'm not a mom!

Sonda said...

I feel for you! I hope our little outing today helped some - maybe we should make a habit of it. I know some babies sleep better in the carseat, but it significantly increases pressure on their tummies, which could make reflux worse. They also can increase the risk of lower oxygen levels, so proceed with caution. Try bundling him tight and making a nest for him (if you need instructions, call me). It WILL get better, but surviving until then can be a real trial. You know my love and prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Sorry!! the second one that's by my mom is actually by me! sorry!

Shanna said...

I'm SO sorry If I could do anything for ya I would, Its so hard especially w- that gap of time frame. If I could take your kids at any time I would even if you need a visitor whatever! I can even come steal your little man! Im ok w- that. SO sorry I hope it will get better as you know, it does get better you just half to believe it! & go Lindsay sounds like good advice!

Cami Jo said...

I'm so sorry. I feel so helpless living so far away! I hope you know you can call and vent anytime you want to! I'll pray for ya! Good luck!

Jana Sohm said...

Ahhhh, the life. Being a mom is hard work. Especially when you have kids of all ages your trying to care for- and keep asleep during the night, so they aren't grumpy in the morning. Have you tried a white-noise maker? I never have, but I've heard they are great. I agree w/ trying to rest while the baby is napping. Send your kids to a friends house, and enjoy the quiet. I am so sorry that this one is hard for you. I think going back to the baby mode would be hard. You are doing a great job though, and you are an awesome mom!!!

Tiffinee said...

Oh, bless you heart!! I just found out about the vitamin D thing too.....I think it's so interesting. There is new research that links vitamin D deficiency to thyroid problems. I was feeling like you are after my second baby....and they tested my blood and I had hypothyroidism. They say 1 in 4 women develops it during pregnancy. When they started me on thyroid hormones, I felt SO much better!! You should get your blood tested just to make sure! Hang in there. Also....for the baby.....have you ever read the book "On becoming babywise"? It's the best!! I am a total believer and have 3 babywise children that LOVE to sleep!! Priceless!