Sunday, October 7, 2007

Happy 30...Something!


Being thirty - something isn't that bad is it? I mean a lot of people say it's the best years of their life. Frankly, I don't feel like I should be in my 30's and I know 33 is actually quite young still. But there's something about your oldest daughter going into Young Womens and having all of your nieces and nephews getting married and having babies that makes you start to feel old! (I just keep reminding myself that my husband is almost the youngest of 7 and I'm really not THAT much older than our nieces/nephews!)

It also doesn't help when your kids make certain "comments" like Makayla did just a few days ago. Last Sunday I was making apple crisp with some fresh apples. I pulled out my awesome Pampered Chef, all in one, apple peeler-corer -slicer (which I happen to LOVE very much!) and started...well, just what it says... peel , core and slice the apples. Makayla was watching me and she said, "That reminds me of a typewriter." I said, "A typewriter?" because I just wasn't seeing the connection. And she said, "Yeah, you know those things people used in the OLDEN DAYS for computers." Ha ha....I said, "Hey! They're not THAT old. I wrote many a report in middle school on those things!" SHEESH!!! I think it was the way that once you put the apple through the corer, slicer thingy you have to push a little lever and push the rod back to the right to it's starting position that reminded her of a typewriter. But man... if that doesn't make you feel old then I don't know what will. It's quite funny how kids see things though. I wonder what they would think and say if they ever saw the video games I used to play like PONG or Atari. Is it pretty sad to admit that you witnessed the evolution of video games? And what would my kids say if they saw a record player or 8 track for that matter? They live in a time where CD's and CD players are on their way out thanks to digital music players.
It's crazy to think that my mom was only 2 years older than me when she died. It makes you realize how young she really was. I am deciding to make the most of my 30's because each year just goes by faster and faster and before I know it I'll be FORTY....YIKES! (no offense to all you 40-something year olds out there!) It's been a great day...Chet has been so good to me as always and spoils me rotten! I'm so blessed to have him and the kids that I have and I'm looking forward to many more years with all of them! HAPPY 33rd BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

2 comments:

Cami Jo said...

Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday Aunt Kim.
Happy Birthday to you.

It was great to talk to you yesterday. I'm glad you had a great day. The older you get, the wiser you get. Just tell that to your kids every time they say something that makes you feel old!

Jeanne said...

Hey at least you never had a mullet! Glad it was a good one, it has been for me! I will let you know how 34 goes next year! It's 35 that is that teetering point, you know what I mean? That is the one I am nervous about; Randal hit it this year, and it was a hard hit at first. Jeanne