Tuesday we took a little drive to another city just outside of Grand Rapids called Holland. This city was settled by Dutch immigrants and is still rich in it's Dutch Heritage. Every year during the peak season of the tulip blooms they hold their Tulip Festival. They have parades, shows, carnival and many shops, restaurants, tulip fields and an island called Windmill Island with the oldest, working windmill in America dating back 247 years.
We visited the Dutch Village and did some shopping. One shop in particular specialized in wooden shoe making and we got to see how it's done. Pretty neat but awful uncomfortable to wear. Chet found him a pair that he liked but they were just too big to take home with us!
We got us a treat at an ice cream shop and bought us some fudge made from imported Dutch cocoa. There was a candle making shop that was incredible. The carvings and things they did to make the most beautiful candles you've ever seen. Unfortunately we weren't able to download all of my pics so I will have to repost some pics of the candles later.
As we watched the guy make the newest batch of fudge Chet had to throw in his little "funny".
Chet: "So you just turn it over like that til it's done?
Employee: "Yeah"
Chet: "And then do you pack the fudge after that?"
Employee: "Yup, then we package it."
Chet, Troy and Larry could hardly contain themselves while the rest of us women just shake our heads.
Feeding ducks at the pond in the village.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Holland
Posted by Kim and Chet at 12:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
You guys sound like you are having so much fun. I wish I could be taking a nice long vacation like that. We'll see you soon. Oh and Happy Mother's Day on Sunday since we won't be seeing you then. Tell Grandma the same for me. Thanks:)
When I saw those shoes on Chet it reminded me of the little cartoon, maybe Tom and Jerry where someone dresses their hand up like a little dutch girl and clogs in. And the song, "I am a pretty little dutch girl, as pretty as pretty can be". That part might be from Bugs Bunny...anyway, looks fun, and I love the windmill picture, how very pretty!
I love the shoes.. so funny! and Chet's comment made me laugh pretty hard. Happy mothers day to you! Sounds like you guys are having a great vacation!
Post a Comment