
Here we are winding down in a hotel room in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Chet and I left early this morning for the Golden Gloves Boxing Nationals. We got through the security check at the airport and went to our gate to find a very little plane waiting for us. For being a 3 1/2 hour flight we were surprised that the plane was SO small. Other than being cramped up through the duration of the flight it was actually very smooth.
We had a little entertainment during the flight...and I'm not talking about a movie since there wasn't even a screen. We watched Troy who was sitting a few rows up from us go into the "lavatory" and shortly after he returned to his seat an announcement came overhead saying that the bathroom in the front of the plane (the one he was in) was plugged and passengers would have to use the rear bathroom for the duration of the flight. Ha ha...Chet and I knew immediately who was responsible for that and laughed. (no surprise there!) Thanks Troy!
After we landed in Detroit we took a shuttle to the rental car place. The driver noticed the boxing jackets that most of us were wearing and asked if we were related to the great "Gene Fullmer". Ha ha...little did he know that Gene was sitting right in front of him. After we all pointed to Uncle Gene the driver just about fainted! He was in awe and kept shaking his hand and even kissed him on the cheek. He was so cute and said that in the two years he's worked there nothing this great has ever happened to him. He talked through the entire drive recalling many of Uncle Gene's fights. He was clearly a fan and I'm sure that made his day! We sent him off with some autographed gloves and a DVD of the 3 of them and he just kept shaking his said saying "MAN, WOW!". We then rented a car, grabbed a bite to eat and started the 2 hour drive to Grand Rapids. We finally made it here and needless to say we are a bit tuckered out and taking advantage of the quiet night. Chet is yelling at the TV at the moment because though the front desk AND the TV guide say we have TNT, which is what the playoffs are on, he can't find it! The weather here is cool and rainy right now and I don't think it's supposed to get warmer than 69 degrees all week. Enjoy your nice warm weather back home because you never know how long it will last there! We will try and keep you posted on how things are going here during the week. Thanks to those of you who are helping with our kids. We love and appreciate you!
Saturday, May 3, 2008
We made it!
Posted by Kim and Chet at 7:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Wow what a neat story! How cool that must have been. I hope you have a great trip. I will miss talking to you so drop me an email or keep updating the blog. I just did a long post on mine tonight. Sweet Dreams!
Those picturs are so great. Thanks for keeping us updated we sure wish we could be there.
Shellie
Congrats to Grandpa! That's awesome! That picture of the two of them sound asleep was hysterical! I hope you have a fun trip!
Post a Comment