Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bread Fried Fingers!

When I picked up Hunter from preschool yesterday he was so excited to tell me what he had for his snack. "Bread fried fingers"! I really wasn't sure what he was talking about so I was hoping he would be satisfied with the nodding of the head and the "wow, really?" like he normally is. Well, it was not to be so!

He loved them so much that he wanted MORE for lunch! When we got home he ran to the stove and kept asking if we had more. I really had no idea where to even start making "bread fried fingers". I asked him if they were french fries among other things I thought it might be. He kept saying, "NO!" then finally after some frustration on both of our parts he said, "Member, like you just made....you put honey on it!"

Oh! That sparked a thought. I had made Navajo Tacos a couple of weeks ago and with the extra dough I made scones. So I called his teacher, (which I probably should've done in the first place) and asked her if she had made them scones. It turns out that, yes, that is what she made only she told them it was called "fried bread" like the Indians used to call it (they are learning about Indians and Pilgrims) and his was probably skinnier than some because she let them pull and shape the dough. So, Hunter's probably looked like a finger.

I did have some frozen dough and I was able to make his "bread fried fingers" for him for lunch! Whew...glad I got that figured out b/c it made for one happy little boy which in turn makes for one happy mom! Not to mention that they were really yummy :)

2 comments:

Cami Jo said...

Sometimes it's so nice to just say,"wow, really" and have that be done with, isn't it? Doesn't always work though! Glad you figured it out! Good idea to call the teacher. What a good mom you are to actually make him them for lunch! I guess the smile on his face was probably worth it.

I'm excited that I get to come to twilight now. Niccole is coming down too, and she'll be coming with us. I'm excited to be down for a whole week!

Jeanne said...

oh that is funny! It is so interesting when you take the path down the 4 year old thought process, isn't it? I could picture his excitement.