Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"Our Christmas Wish!"

Last Thursday Talon had his First Grade Christmas Program. They sang lots of songs and each class got up on the stage and did their own little song, poem or "something". Talon's teacher is teaching them Spanish and had the all tell individually what Christmas means to them first in English and then in Spanish.

Some of the kids said things like "presents", "building snowmen" but I was pleasantly surprised to hear most of them say something like "The birth of baby Jesus," "Jesus' birth" etc. I was actually shocked at first and Chet leaned over and said, "Can they say that?". It really got me thinking about how sad it is that we have to worry about stuff like that. How we are having issues with prayer and religion in schools. (and everywhere!) Even the saying "under God" in the pledge and "In God We Trust" on our currency is causing talk about needing to be removed.

Store vendors and being told to say "Happy Holidays" to their customers instead of "Merry Christmas"... I have decided I am so tired of being politically correct! Isn't that what has made America so beautiful is FREEDOM?! And freedom of
SPEACH and religion. Yet, it seems that we are having to compromise our Christian beliefs and what we say to accommodate all of those who have immigrated here and don't believe in God and/or the people who just choose not to believe and take offense. *sigh* (Now that I've vented some)

I was just so grateful to those cute little First graders who said what Christmas means to them. It warmed my heart to hear those words come from their sweet little hearts and in a school program no less! How sweet little children are and if only we could keep that same sweet innocence as we grow into adults the world would be a much better place! The theme of their First grade program was "Our Christmas Wish" well, my Christmas wish would have to be...
May our hearts be as little children and may we have "Peace on Earth".

Merry Christmas!

Talon has such a funny little smile!


1 comments:

Jeanne said...

That is a lovely thought. Good job to those kids!