Hunter is such a fun kid to have around. He says the funniest things and is just a crack up. He also has one of those personalities where he would rather play than sit and learn. He has been my hardest so far to teach things to b/c he doesn't have the attention span the other's did nor does he have a strong memory. (on some things anyway)
He has known his shapes, colors and recognized #'s 1-10 for a couple of years now but when it comes to letter's and their sounds it just wasn't sticking very well. Same with learning how to spell and write his name, recite his address and phone number etc. He just keeps tapping the side of his head and saying "Umm, I can't memer." (remember) So, after reading Cami's blog and her strategy on teaching Carson things by using songs I decided to give it a try. It worked with spelling his name. He can spell it and so we worked and worked on writing it. He had the "H, U" down pretty good but not the rest. He just didn't want to have to sit down and practice. So, I let him pick out a bag of treats at the store for when he practices his name really good. Let me tell you...GREAT motivator!" I had him write it four times each. (because he's four!) I, of course, had to help him through the first couple. But then after just a couple of days he FINALLY got it! WAHOO!!! Now, I just need to make up a tune to our address and phone number so he can learn that! He is so proud of himself for learning how to do this. He thinks he has to write it four times every time now. I had to explain to him that when he goes to preschool he only needs to write in once on his paper. Only at home does he need to write it four times...haha!
He has said the funniest things lately too. I made myself a hard boiled egg the other day and after I ate it he asked if he could have one. I said yes and got out the pan, etc. He got so excited and said, "One egg coming right up!" haha...I have no idea where he got that from but it was so unexpected and made me laugh.
He also thinks it all revolves around him! With the other kids they know that this is not a restaurant and they are not going to be catered to....except for Hunter. Our motto is "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" but Hunter tends to think that this doesn't apply to him. This morning we were laying in my bed watching cartoons b/c my house was so cold I wasn't ready to get out of it yet. But when I asked him if he was hungry this was his reply,
"Yeah, I want two toasts, no syrup, but with lots of butter!"... umm okay?! (this kid LOVES to eat toast, with butter AND syrup on it!) I was just chuckling to myself b/c for a moment I felt like a waitress taking his order at a restaurant!
Then today I was running errands and he saw McD's. He got so excited and said, "mom, you have monies?"
me: "nope"
"Yeah," (arguing and insisting tone)
"No, I don't"
"YES!!! I saw it. You have wots of monies!"
"Saw it when?"
"Memer! Yesterday! I saw you have wots of monies!"
I had a $20 bill and had him with me on Saturday when I bought them a treat at Chet's football game. He must have seen them give me all my change back. SOME things, he doesn't forget! haha He didn't drop it easily either. Luckily I was able to distract him with something else. I really was going to get him McD's but it was still a bit too early for lunch. Then he decided that he wanted a lunchable instead. Oh well.
Funny little boy. He loves to tickle my belly thinking that he is making the baby laugh inside! He is too cute and it's so fun having him around!
Monday, September 22, 2008
He did it!
Posted by Kim and Chet at 2:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I think 4 is a cute age. I have just realized that the most knowing that Libby is turning 5 in Jan. It is going so fast! It is so neat to hear them say things because it gives a glimpse into their mind. I think I am going to miss it in a lot of ways. It is good you are blogging. I always forget to write down what Libby says. I think I will remember but forget.
Oh, we used the 8675309 song with our house in west valley. It worked for the number and address!
He is so cute. I just love that little guy.
I'm glad the song thing worked! Carson doesn't stop singing his songs all day long. It's good, because you can sing the song anytime of the day, and they don't feel like they are doing some kind of chore, because it's fun. And....it works whether they sing it with you or not. Even hearing it a lot, helps it stick in their brain!
Good job with writing his name too. Carson likes to write letters, but only certain ones. He'll write his name if I dot the whole name and he can trace the dots.
What a funny kid. i love the "monies". Carson calles McDonalds, "Old McDonalds". Kids are too funny sometimes.
Post a Comment